Sunday, March 28, 2010

Totally nuts

I made these cashew cookies filled with homemade dulce de leche (easier than it sounds: boil a can of sweetened condensed milk for like three and a half hours, but keep it covered with water, or it'll explode) upon returning to Florida today. They were very good, even very, very good, but did not match up to the awesome that the recipe's original poster promised. First of all, the cashew puree never got "creamy," per se, despite my assiduous use of the food processor until my mom told me to cut it out. Secondly, the cookies were not chewy. They were crunchy. While crunchy is good, chewy is better. And thirdly, dulce is one of those very few things that just never tastes as good homemade as when purchased somewhere in South America.

If anyone can troubleshoot for me, go for it: http://www.natalieskillercuisine.com/2010/03/salted-cashew-cookies-with-homemade.html Nevertheless, though, these are quite tasty. Just not tasty enough to make me have more than one.

Oh, and I remade the granola from last visit, too. That, my friends, lived up to expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment