The past couple weeks have been rather terrible. For one thing, Andy got quite ill with some pharynx-attacking bug. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the moment when I'm laid low, but in the meantime, watching him suffer is its own punishment. And then to top it off, I'm increasingly torn up over this residency thing, and Andy's having to prepare for his qualifying exams while ill, and the housework is piling up... long story short, I haven't been in a particularly perky or productive mindset lately. The only inspiration to create was our new wok and George Foreman grill, bought on the cheap from an exiting fourth-year.
|Thai stir-fry of barley and vegetables|
|Tofu marinated in turmeric, sesame oil, and fish sauce,|
then grilled until crispy.
And then Andy asked me to make something to commemorate his newfound ability to get out of bed. I used this recipe, substituting 2 tsp agar-agar for the gelatin. The tamarind-lemon flavor was fantastic. The texture... not so much. The candies turned out soft and grainy rather than firm and chewy. Either the acidity of the mixture broke down the agar, or I didn't use enough agar, or I didn't cook the final agar-containing mixture, or some combination of the above. This means, of course, that I have to keep experimenting...