Sunday, February 21, 2010

A few days late... Vegetable love

Last Wednesday, I made these beet cupcakes featured in an intriguing New York Times article: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/now-baking-beyond-red-velvet-cake/?ref=food

Anyone who has been to a birthday party at the Kirsch home knows of my deep and unyielding love for red velvet cake, but I hate being prosaic, and indeed red velvet cake for Valentine's Day is quite prosaic. These cupcakes, on the other hand, were fascinating. They were almost muffiny in texture (although that might have been due to my not having an electric mixer and just mushing everything together with my hands, which was fun, don't get me wrong; it might also have been due to the 3:2:1.5 cups of beets to flour to butter ratio), and they were a beautiful light golden color. The beetiness is more assertive than zucchini and, as the article describes, "less vegetal" than carrot, possibly because the vegetable itself has sort of a sweet and non-vegetal taste.

All in all, I recommend these. But don't make them if you don't like beets. But do avoid telling possible consumers that they contain beets, because I'd hate for vegetable prejudice to dissuade people from eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment