Monday, March 25, 2013

Definitely forgot my own anniversary.

It's okay. Andy did, too. His belated present:

Cotton and paper are the traditional second-anniversary gifts,
per the American and British systems respectively.

Pesach starts tonight. I should have made something unleavened, but I really wanted to try out a specific idea I had: more healthful knish.



These have silken tofu in the filling and olive oil in the (whole-wheat) crust. Of course, an actually nutritionally sound knish would have to weigh less than 12.5 ounces.



Hey, you don't eat carbs wrapped in carbs every day*. Might as well go for broke.

Hippie knish
(Makes either 8 huge ones or many, many normal ones)

Filling
2 lbs potatoes
1 lb silken tofu, drained, liquid reserved
1/3 cup chopped scallions
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and boil the potatoes until very tender. Mash to your desired consistency and mix in the tofu. Steam at the bottom of the potato-boilin' pot at medium-high heat; removing moisture from mashed potatoes makes them fluffier. Mix in the scallions and add salt and pepper to taste.

Dough
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup tofu liquid + water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour
turmeric to taste

Take your tofu liquid and add regular water to make a cup. Add olive oil, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, just until blended. Add turmeric to taste and finish kneading the dough just until smooth. Divide into some number of balls (I did 8; 16 would not go amiss) and refrigerate for 20-30  minutes. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a very thin circle and plop some potato filling in the middle. Fold the dough attractively around it. Brush with egg wash if you like. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown.

*Hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated anniversary! I had it on my calendar, but I blame jet lag for forgetting to do anything about it. I shall bring you your very own piece of paper when I see you next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered (my calendar), but I thought it would have been a bit odd to say something! I guess it indeed would have been...

    ReplyDelete