Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Prequel: Sarasota ain't too thrilling, but desserts are!

I'm sitting on Andy's couch with no finals and no med school interviews and no newspaper work on the horizon. I could be writing 8/8 music for PACE NSC (a high school quizbowl tournament, for you readers not in the know), but instead, I'm prepping, via Tastespotting, for a month of culinary goodness.

Here's the thing: Those of us from Sarasota know that while the good ol' SRQ might be able to furnish some beautiful beaches, it is sorely lacking in a laundry list of other things to do. I'm going to be around from Dec. 18 to Jan. 15 (minus a few days in Louisiana), assuming that my parents remain acquiescent to my going to ACF Winter (a college quizbowl tournament, for you readers not in the know); while I've got some wonderful and captivating friends who are going to be around, there will still be ample amounts of potentially unspent time.

So, I plan to bake. A lot. I'm going to try some ambitious things (I like the look of this pistachio tart that reportedly took 8 hours to make...) and some simple things (Cupcakes with 2 tablespoons of ginger? ys plz), some new things (homemade marshmallows) and some old things (Emma never tires of apple turnovers); I'm definitely going to be open to suggestion. No, I'm not going to hold myself to some Julie and Julia-esque standard in which I cry into my pillow and ponder divorcing my husband if I don't achieve a dish a day. But I do intend to run through as many pounds of butter and flour as possible.

And if you're going to be in Sarasota, my father and brother are absent the house, so my mother and sister and I will need help eating it all. Really. Just call or comment if you want to eat something that you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment