Tuesday, December 29, 2009

So. Much. Food.

There are some recipes that you describe to people and get an immediate and enthusiastic reaction. And then there are some that you describe to people and get a forcibly enthusiastic reaction accompanied by sidelong looks. These apricot/thyme/rosemary cookies received the latter.

I wasn't sure what to call these, because "apricot spice" brings to mind cloves and cinnamon and "apricot herb" is boring. Since the original recipe called for sage and the blogger who posted it used rosemary and thyme instead, I've decided to call them Scarborough Fair cookies.

They deserve the former reaction rather than the latter. The only changes I'd make would be to reduce the amount of sage used and reduce the ratio of thyme to rosemary. The recipe mentioned that the smell of thyme would be "overwhelming" but then fade; it wasn't overwhelming, but I still thought it was a little strong, and the rosemary was underwhelming. In short: have a lighter hand with the spices. But the texture was perfect, a little crisp on the bottom and edges and chewy in the middle, with just enough cornmeal.

Also, after all these years, I still haven't learned to check where my oven racks are before preheating.

I also made the aforementioned rosemary bread, which turned out splendidly, and a butternut squash soup that was a recombination of two recipes I was given. The soup was awesome. Like, really, really awesome. It involved cumin and apple juice (all-natural, but I wish I'd had cider) and ginger and garlic and jalapenos and just an tiny splash of cream. Tiny, I swear. Plus, I got to use my Secret Mount Vinokurov (quizbowl version of secret Santa) immersion blender!

And there was a salad, but you don't really care about that.

I'm so damn full, and it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment