Sunday, June 20, 2010

What the focaccia?

Oh man, racy bread puns!

Focaccia is a lot easier than it's always been cracked up to be. I love eating grapes with cheese, and I've seriously been craving fruit lately, so when I saw a near-overripe dollar bag of grapes in Chinatown's C-mart, I decided to purchase them and freeze them for topping a focaccia with grapes, feta, and rosemary.

We ended up going to a friend's parents' apartment for dinner, so I transported the bread during its second rise and baked it at their house, glazing it with olive oil once during baking and once right afterward. I decided to finish the bread under the broiler to char the grapes a bit and to give it a nice, deep brown color, and it worked perfectly. Their oven has the kind of even heat I've been missing! It had that textural cross between pillowy and chewy that I associate with focaccia (and most Italian breads, come to think of it), and I liked the rosemary/grape interaction. Fresh rosemary and more cheese would have made it even better.

If I were to do this again, I'd turn up the heat somewhat, probably from 425 to 450, and add one more olive oil glaze in the middle. Perhaps next time, I'll use just rosemary and garlic. It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment