Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ra ra ah ah ah/ pizza, ooh la la

I tried a new pizza dough today, one that used honey as a sweetener and a bit of white wine to moisten the dough. This was the chewiest, most subtle pizza dough I've ever made, and it's just become my exclusive pizza dough recipe (well, unless I'm going for a crunchy cornmeal dough again). I wish I could have baked it for longer, but I foolishly used kale as one of the toppings, foolishly because the kale was crispy and perfectly charred before the dough was perfectly charred. Still, we devoured the pizza, whose other toppings were mozzarella, basil, olive oil, garlic powder, and a sliced tomato; next time, I'll make two!

The recipe is as follows:
Whisk together 3/4 teaspoon yeast, 2 tablespoons white wine, 1/2 teaspoon honey, and 6 tablespoons warm water until the yeast is dissolved. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1.5 cups flour, and use your fingers to mix the dough until it comes together in a ball; sprinkle in a bit more water if the dough is impossible to mix, but it should be fine. Knead for about two minutes, and then let the dough rise in an oiled bowl until doubled, or 1.5 to 2 hours. Form into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes, then roll it out until it's quite thin on a floured or cornmealed surface. Add your toppings, unless you're using kale, in which case it's smarter to add the kale after it's already been in the oven for about two minutes. Bake on a preheated pizza stone or pan at the highest temperature your oven can muster for 5 to 10 minutes, and let it rest for a minute or two before you cut it.

Oh, and we still have about three quarters of a cake left. My plea continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment