Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Luck of the (blood) draw

I wasn't going to post last night, but a few things happened to change my mind:

1. I had another session in the ER, where I (drumroll, please) drew blood from my first real patient. As I'm prepping all the stuff under the watchful eye of the resident who was making sure I didn't accidentally amputate anything, the patient said, "Oh, use that vein on the outside of my left arm. It's really good." I said something to the effect of, "Oh?" And she said, "Yes, I used it a lot while I was training. I'm a phlebotamist." That's right. The first time I take a real person's blood, and just my luck: she's a phlebotamist. Luckily, it went off without a hitch.

2. I had the luck of being chosen to represent NYU as a student who does an unusual thing: food blogging. This struck me as an odd choice, because the other students on the list are things like "parents" and "Iron Man athletes." And I blog. About food. But I'm never one to say no to a way to augment my hits, and so I made a loaf of challah and a raw asparagus and apple salad with balsamic vinaigrette.



The salad was a little underdressed, but other than that, raw asparagus is my new favorite thing. Credit for the awesome photos of Risa and myself to to Samar.



3. Other interesting patients: a woman with a massive aortic dissection that was discovered incidentally while she was in the ER for something else. A case of domestic abuse in a same-sex relationship, which I just heard someone speak about and which, predictably, got a few comments from the doctors. A couple bona fide French-speaking patients (both African). Ah, Wednesdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment