Friday, April 22, 2011

Liquor: not actually quicker

Remember the super-awesome projects I promised? Here's one that I discovered in the aforementioned Flavor Thesaurus:


The instructions were to take an orange, make 44 slits in it and insert a coffee bean into each slit, put the orange in a jar with 44 sugar cubes and a pint of vodka, rum, or brandy, wait 44 days, and enjoy. I don't drink, but this sounds amazing, and I can always cook with the stuff (or give it away). So I bought two cups of vodka and a jar from a friend and went to town.



See you in 44 days.

In the meantime, dinner was what I think I'll call a creamy Mexican corn salad. Here's the recipe:

1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 ears corn, or 1 can corn
2 large tomatoes
1 poblano pepper
1 jalapeno
fresh cilantro
cumin
garlic powder
oregano
salt
pepper
queso fresco or ricotta salata

Dice the peppers and tomatoes, and strip the kernels off the ear of corn; mince the jalapeno. Toss all that with the dried spices to taste and either pan-roast, broil, or if you're like me and have no broiler, roast with the oven as hot as it will go, all until the peppers are blistered. While it's still hot, toss with chopped fresh cilantro (also to taste) and stir in just enough ricotta or queso fresco to make it creamy, like a potato salad. Serves two.

No comments:

Post a Comment