Thursday, December 16, 2010

If you have childish tastes in food...

...is it fair to say you have a jejune tum? I think so!

Dinner tonight was nothing special: Greek frittata with feta, eggplant, tomatoes, and broccoli, and fresh Italian artisan bread (although the bread is great, and quite an easy recipe to boot). But then I went to make these Andalusian olive oil and aniseed wafers called tortas de aceite, and oh my god. Do you know how much 280 g of extra virgin olive oil is? It is a lot of olive oil. I should have converted the measurement to ounces before I began, because then I would have known that I was about to end up with a ridiculous amount of wafer dough.

Honestly, I probably should have been able to intuit it. But I'm not that smart. I also should have realized I was out of the other key ingredient, aniseed, but again, I'm not that smart, so I substituted cardamom with a pinch of coriander. Halfway through rolling the cookies, I realized I did have fennel seed, so a few of the cookies have fennel in them as well.

Lesson(s) learned. Next time I'm halving the recipe and making smaller cookies. In the meantime, lipids are truly lovely. When I pressed the dough down, oil literally bubbled out of the dough. That's my kind of dessert.

Tomorrow, I plan to go to a Toru Takemitsu retrospective concert, bracketed by studying at some convenient tea-furnishing location near Carnegie Hall, so this blog will once again be postless. Alas!

No comments:

Post a Comment