Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Come what, May??

It's spring? It's... spring? It's spring! Today was the first day without rain or cloudy bluster or sub-60s temperatures, although it was still chilly enough that I searched the medical center for the sunniest spot in which to bask while studying. To celebrate, I decided to make Mark Bittman's ricotta dumplings.

They failed rather spectacularly. When I saw that the recipe called for two eggs (well, four eggs, but I halved it), I was a little skeptical. Sure enough, the dough was so wet that it didn't hold together. I added more breadcrumbs; I added some flour. But to no avail. When I boiled the dumplings, they fell apart into something that looked like a matzo ball hit by a guided missile. I just mixed the results into the tomato sauce I'd made, which yielded something unnameable, and completely hideous. Tasted alright, though. Let's put it this way: I wouldn't make it on purpose, ever, but I will re-attempt dumplings, with half the number of eggs.

Ah, well. At least I don't have type 2 diabetes, which, as it turns out, gives you a fifteen- to forty-fold increase in the risk of amputation. While a large chunk of that is probably attributable to the fact that the usual risk of amputation is near-zero, it still doesn't appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment