Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sumer is icumen in

I can't believe this is my last post of May 2011.

Commensurate with the rapid onset of summer heat, I've been craving summer foods. Watermelon and cole slaw are most in the forefront of said cravings, for reasons I can't understand. I'm holding off on the watermelon for now*, but here is my take on coleslaw:



It doesn't have mayo in it, but it does have cilantro and scallions and a habanero and garlic and lime juice and black beans and cabbage and sweet potatoes and... okay, so maybe it's heartier than your typical summer coleslaw. The point is, this is a chunky, cool, fresh dinner, surprisingly filling and unsurprisingly peppy on the tongue. It's that habanero, I tell you.

In other news: I got a cast-iron skillet for free yesterday! I also got a bunch of ingredients (red wine vinegar, soba, hoisin sauce) for free, but more importantly... skillet! What do you think I should do with it first?

*For you veteran readers, last summer's posts may have indicated to you that I can and will eat most of a watermelon in a four-hour period. Self-control: I do not have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment