Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crunchy, happy people laughing

Today's recipe comes complete with an entertaining story along with the deliciousness!

I had a little bit of a hard time getting all the oaty bits to clump, which presented a worrisome burn risk (along with the fact that I accidentally dumped in the dried fruit before the baking), but with the 15-minute stir intervals, it turned out fine. I used pine nuts, almonds, both slivered and roughly chopped, chopped dried apple, and dried cranberries; crystallized ginger would have worked just fine as well, and I'd like to try this with pecans and currants. Although the Traveler's Lunchbox author prefers light and crispy granola, I think using rolled oats for this (and perhaps increasing the sit time before it goes into the oven) would make for a nice, hearty granola. If you're into that kind of thing.

And since I like really spicy granolas and spice cakes and cookies and such, I would have jacked up the cinnamon and cardamom levels, but I'm afflicted with a cold right now that's rendering me unable to taste much, and I didn't want to accidentally inflict a spice overload on people. I did add a little nutmeg, though, and a little dried ginger.

The upshot of it all is that despite the rather large lunch I had courtesy of a friend's very kind grandmother (who also gave us a tour of an exhibit on Venetian painting at the Ringling, the local art museum where she is a docent), I've got a nice bowl of granola goodness with Feya yogurt. And more quizbowl questions to write*.

*This has been the most sedentary break ever. Serious activity is going to happen when I'm back at 'deis.

No comments:

Post a Comment