Friday, January 8, 2010

Cupcake explosion

In my defense, the recipe said to fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way.

If you make these (Martha Stewart's gingerbread cupcakes), for the love of all that is good and holy, only fill them halfway. Because halfway through the baking, when I noticed a burning smell, I opened the oven to discover batter burbling out of the pans and dropping onto the oven floor below.

But they're worth making; I topped them with a very light lemon-ricotta icing, but cream cheese or some sort of glaze or nothing at all, really, would have worked just as well.

Also, I finally found out where our missing cooling racks are: on the roof. This is apparently what my sister told my mother. I don't even want to know why they're up there (Satanic ritual, perhaps?), but this means that tomorrow, when it's light out, I'll grab the ladder and retrieve them.

Made that good ol' warhorse penne alla vodka for my brother's extremely belated birthday dinner tonight. Not exactly a classic accompaniment to a gingery dessert, but tasty nonetheless! My mom had to run out last-minute for emergency heavy cream because my dad put an empty container of heavy cream back in the fridge. What is it with my family and an inability to place cooking implements and ingredients where they should be placed?

No comments:

Post a Comment