Monday, January 11, 2010

Meet me in St. Louis, Louis

A Facebook quasi-poll led to my decision to make St. Louis gooey butter cake tonight and apple tarte tatin tomorrow, since we're having a gumbo party tomorrow and the tarte tatin fits better with the Creole theme. I'll make raisin bread at Brandeis and carrot walnut cookies to bring to Winter (or at least to the excellent person who is driving me to Winter).

Now, a few words on the cake:
1. I want a paddle attachment. Every single recipe I've made (well, not really, but almost) has called for one, and I've just had to go without.
2. The author of the New York Times article about the confection from which I drew the recipe included an anecdote about buying the last slice of butter cake from the man in front of her in line at the bakery for a brownie and two coconut bars. There is a reason that she went to such lengths. This is sweet and yeasty and indulgent. If faced with never eating this again or committing a minor crime, I'd probably go with the crime. Holding myself to one tiny square for health purposes was really, really difficult.
3. You should make this. But unless you like staying up late, don't start making it at 8 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment