Monday, January 4, 2010

It's dinnertime, y'all

It sort of accidentally became Southern food night.

1. Fried okra: Mark Bittman has a much simpler fried okra process than my mom's Talk About Good Junior League cookbook. Take fresh or defrosted frozen okra, roll in flour, dip in egg, and roll in salted/peppered cornmeal. Fry in very hot oil that's a couple inches deep. Drain. Eat.
2. Chili: Yeah, I just threw beans and onions and carrots and tomatoes and spices and stuff like that in a pot and boiled it for awhile. Didn't have any beer, but there was Worcestershire sauce!
3. Mustard greens: spicy substitute-for-collard goodness.
4. Cornbread: The real reason for this blog is the baking, and this is what I baked. I used a combination of buttermilk and yogurt in the dough (you can just substitute a quarter cup of milk in whatever recipe for yogurt), and I baked it in a skillet coated in browned butter. I very lightly sweetened it with some honey; super-sweet cornbread is not my thing.

Shortly, it will be Barnes and Noble tea and baked good time in order to see a dear friend off to her own final semester at college, but I never did make those scones. More midnight baking, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment