Saturday, July 31, 2010

Remedial dining

Following last night's post, I made some sauteed kale with a bit of Parmesan, because until I am buddies with this guy, kale ice cream is not in my future, and I decided that vitamins had to happen before I went to sleep.

We actually bought lunch today, given that there were no leftovers to munch on, picking up an assortment of salads from the Broadway Marketplace on the way to the Harvard science center to do some work. The salads mostly consisted of various marinated vegetables interspersed with large chunks of cheese, although we did get a couple vegetarian Vietnamese spring rolls just for variety.

Perhaps in unconscious self-redemption for yesterday, dinner today was all about the vegetables. I finally used that harissa sauce to make harissa- and honey-glazed eggplant. Because of various dining what-have-yous this week, I had leftover zucchini, cabbage, and celery, as well as some chives and cilantro that are on their way out and some kale that isn't. So I threw the zucchini in with the eggplant and made a cabbage-and-kale stir fry with orange zest and sesame oil to go with it. We ate before I remembered to pause and take pictures, which is no great tragedy; it didn't look quite as good as it tasted.

Dessert, if we choose to have it, will be ice cream. There's quite a lot in the freezer thanks to my buy-one-get-one-free discovery while shopping for baked Alaska supplies, and despite what the eternally wise They tell you, there is no such thing as too much of a good thing. Especially when that good thing is Edy's Slow-Churned chocolate ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment