Thursday, July 8, 2010

Product placement ahoy!

I got tired of making rice dishes and using egg as protein, and tofu can turn into mushy pablum, especially the next day, when used as a mix-in for dishes like this, so I decided to go with cubed Morningstar Grillers veggie burgers. This is now my favorite of the Morningstar products I've tried, although their veggie sausages are a close second. The flavors aren't so much trying to exactly imitate meat--which usually fails--as trying to capture a general meaty savor that tofu can't give you. The cubed Grillers (which I chose over "Mushroom Lovers'" and "Original Garden Veggie") were perfect for the sticky rice bowls (other ingredients: rice, mushrooms, red bell peppers, fresh cilantro, scallions, garlic, red onion, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, served with a salad with a peanut-ginger).

Because I once again completely forgot to photograph dinner (it was pretty, though) and because I'm not baking anything tonight (still got 3/4 of a cheesecake left, if anyone is interested), instead of waxing lyrical about how awesome my [insert dessert here]-making skills are, I'm going to ask your opinion on something. What do you think of making a watermelon gazpacho? It would probably involve a high watermelon-to-tomato ratio, with some avocado either cubed or blended in (probably cubed), and a little garnish of chopped cucumber, red onion, and cilantro on top. I'd add a little splash of some sweet vinegar, but only a tiny bit, and season it with pepper, maybe some chili powder, and either cilantro or Thai basil.

1 comment:

  1. mm, watermelon gazpacho... what if you forgo tomatoes entirely for, say, tomatillos in that one? either way, definitely worth the experiment and subsequent post.

    ReplyDelete