Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Call any vegetable

Bonus points if you know what the title refers to without having to watch this video.

Anyway, I spent my birthday eating tasty, tasty carbohydrates. Lunch was the last of the bean soup, with the last of the brown rice mixed in. We went out for Thai at Pepper Sky shortly after abandoning plans to eat at S&I (long story. I still want to try them, though!). While Pepper Sky isn't the deal that S&I Thai is, their food is very, very good. I had pad see ew, and Andy had spicy pad thai; we split a fried tofu appetizer. It was basically good, solid Thai food for good, solid prices. Added bonus: server with hilarious hair and a neon yellow shirt who considered it his duty to refill our water glasses as soon as they were even a quarter drained. Thanks, Server with Hilarious Hair and Neon Yellow Shirt!

And then, there were cookies. I've been searching for The One for ages; for a long time, I thought it was the browned butter cookie recipe I've mentioned on here several times. But no, I think my own little Neo of the Dough Matrix (in which are suspended chips, of course) has at last truly revealed himself.



These cookies are big. They have a crispy crust and crispy edges, but the inside is oh so chewy. I used half a cup of peanut butter chips and half a cup of chocolate chips, a reduction of 1/3 cup from the original recipe, but I think the chippiness could be reduced further just to highlight how magnificent the dough is. Perhaps it's because the recipe calls for bread flour? The only sad thing is that they have an eight-hour refrigeration period.



I ate of them unabashedly. Happy birthday to me.

NEO COOKIES
2 sticks butter, softened to room temp
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten.
1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
3 cups BREAD flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
up to 1 1/3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

It is very important that you do not overbeat at any of these steps. Beat butter with sugars just until blended. Add eggs and extract and beat just until blended. Add dry ingredients and mix until dough is just homogenized; gently fold in chips. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Divide dough into 12 chunks and roll gently between hands until balls are formed. Bake at 350 for 15 to 17 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets. The cookies won't feel done when you take them out; they should be squishy. Let rest for 7 to 10 minutes on the cookie sheets. Eat. Eat them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment