Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Exam Friday. Food is fuel.

I made a pasta salad last night with some kidney beans, spinach, soaked white onion (to remove the thiols and reveal a sweeter flavor), fusilli, rice wine vinegar (it's all I had, or I'd have used cider), and salt and pepper. I ate it for lunch. And then I ate it for dinner, with some peas and a small piece of cheese, just because I felt like it. And now it's time to go back to teaching myself what connective tissue looks like, because apparently we're not actually learning it until the day before we're being tested on it, so learning it starting now seems prudent.

Speaking of, here's a paragraph from an online study module:
"When macrophages encounter large foreign bodies they are stimulated to increase in size, forming epithelioid cells, and several may fuse to form multinucleated giant cells. The cells seen here were produced in response to thread sewn through an animal's skin. The phages surround and try to engulf the individual fibrils of the thread."

I imagine the histology prep staff saying something like this: "Oh, we need to see some giant cells! Let's sew up a bunny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment