Thursday, August 26, 2010

Horseshoes and hand grenades

This post subtitled: "Because my dinner was almost there."

I've had a major craving for pancakes today, but I didn't want to go the totally unhealthful route and just eat a stack of them with honey for dinner. I also only had one egg left. But how to stifle that craving enough that I could concentrate on studying genetics? I decided to do a "pancake Florentine." This entailed making whole-wheat pancakes, which only use egg whites, and topping them with spinach and a poached egg yolk.

Taste-wise, this was completely successful. However, I decided it would be a good idea to use my small not non-stick pan in order to limit the pancake size rather than the larger non-stick frying pan. BIG mistake. Despite my reasonable coating of oil, the batter completely adhered to the bottom of the pan. I didn't photograph the result, because instead of what I'd pictured--beautifully browned whole wheat pancake with a yolk nestled in some spinach placed on top, perhaps with a punctured yolk so that the yellowy insides would flow nicely over the whole plate--I got that yolk beautifully nestled in the spinach, which was placed on top of scrambled pancake bits. Delicious? Yes. Nutritious? Mostly. Pretty? Absolutely not.

Instead, here's a picture of a kitten!

No comments:

Post a Comment