Friday, August 26, 2011

Their Eyes Were Watching Blog

I'm having trouble taking this hurricane thing seriously. Perhaps it comes with the territory of growing up on (or sort of in... I grew up on a barrier island) the Gulf of Mexico. First of all, it looks like it's supposed to be a category 1 at most by the time it hits us. Secondly, I live on the eighth floor. Thirdly, I'm a little immersed in the last of summer produce right now:



These are zucchini, corn, and chickpea fritters flavored with mint and lemon zest. Also, kale chips and slices of tomato.



I fried them in the safflower oil that Andy brought home as a surprise one day, and I am still looking forward to picking the BCBs* out of the pan when the oil has cooled a bit. And then baking the assuredly chewy and buttery crescent rolls that are rising right now. Irene, Schmirene.

*Burnt crunchy bits, a term coined, I believe, by the sadly Alzheimer's-afflicted Terry Pratchett of Discworld fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment