Monday, August 1, 2011

Tennyson and Everyday Life

In Memoriam A.H.H. came to mind today when I opened the very first cage of the day in the mouse room and discovered that one mouse, notable for his ability to impregnate more mice than any other male breeder, had literally ripped a hole in the body wall of another mouse.

It was horrifying. I needed comfort.

Mmm, cozy brown rice and vegetable pilaf.


Mmm, white bean dip with eggplant chips.



I needed to slice the eggplant chips more thinly--I foolishly heeded a recipe that instructed me to slice them 1/2 inch thick. They were nowhere near crispy enough; I'd describe them as "eggplant wraps." But man, that dip was a delight. I'll forgive the floppy vegetable chips, but I might make some crispy sweet potato chips to go with the leftovers tomorrow...

White bean cilantro dip
15 oz precooked white beans
1 generous cup chopped cilantro
juice and zest of one lemon
1 tbsp sour cream (optional)
3 to 5 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper

Put everything but the olive oil, salt, and pepper in the food processor. With it running, pour in the olive oil in a slow stream until the dip is thick but smooth and spreadable. Chill, then salt and pepper to taste after it is cold (or you could serve it at room temp).

No comments:

Post a Comment