Thursday, August 4, 2011

DIY Artichoke Basille's

Artichoke pizza is the best thing. Unfortunately, it's also the fattiest thing. Since I don't have Andy's epic metabolism, I clearly had to make a reduced-calorie version! Now, I'm not saying it's good for you. It's not even particularly low-calorie, not by a long shot. But it is lower calorie, and it's got all fat-free stuff in it (except for the pecorino romano... I don't know about that.), and the portion size is certainly smaller.

I like mine sprinkled with a little chopped parsley
and  a lot of red pepper flakes...
Oh, and it's so damn good it's not even funny.



For the base, I made a couple tablespoons of roux (olive oil and flour), melted in some pecorino romano and fat-free cream cheese, added garlic, lemon juice, and white wine*, thinned it with some milk, and Bob's your uncle, white sauce! This was spread on a whole-wheat thin crust, topped with ample amounts of chopped frozen spinach out of which water had been thoroughly squeezed, chunks of artichoke, and fat-free shredded mozzarella.



So. Damn. Good.

*which I sprayed all over myself in my attempts to open the bottle. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment