Friday, October 1, 2010

Overachieving

I'd mentioned that there is little left in the house in the way of combinable foodstuffs, and that I was going to scrape by until Sunday, but I like overachieving. Aristotle probably called it, along with excellence, habit, or maybe a way of life or a deadly compulsion or something like that. Last night, post-posting, I got a major yen to bake something. Problem: I still had three lectures to go through before reaching my personal study quota, and I had no butter, and I've gone through a heinous amount of flour and sugar recently. There are a few recipes floating around in my archives for honey cakes that use oil instead of butter, but most of them call for coffee, which I do not possess, or for more honey than the scant amount I had. I do, however, possess green tea. So here you have it: honey green tea cake.

1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose or cake)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cardamom
pinch nutmeg
1/2 tsp yuzu juice (or any citrus juice + 1/4 tsp salt)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup very strong green tea (I wouldn't use one of the more delicate green teas if I were you. It probably wouldn't come through)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients together. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and bright yellow, then gently beat in the rest of the wet ingredients. Using a spatula or whisk, fold in dry ingredients; do not overbeat. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

I found the cake too sweet; next time, I'm adding less sugar. But I tend to have a very mild sweet tooth (in terms of "how sweet" not in terms of "no, I must decline that delightful pastry"), so perhaps you'll enjoy it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment