Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Delicious foods of dubious aesthetic appeal

Check this out.



Looks like watered-down peanut butter, right? It's actually a delicious peanut soup based on a Mark Bittman recipe based on a Senegalese recipe for groundnut soup. True to form, I neglected to halve the recipe, so I may or may not be eating large quantities for the next few days.



The vegetable dish is something else a little more unusual, and something I've never tried before. I have a friend whose father has a recipe for cranberry-orange relish that involves putting a bag of cranberries and two unpeeled oranges in a food processor, processing, and letting it hang out in the fridge for a few hours before serving it. With this in mind, I chopped one of the many, many, many oranges my grandmother sent me--without peeling it--and caramelized it, chard stems, and some chopped red onion in some oil, sugar, and red wine vinegar. The chard leaves went in in the last minute or so of cooking. I could eat this every day.




Speaking of oranges, I need to bake with them this weekend, as long as I've got a glut of them. Orange-pomegranate tart, perhaps? If you've got a favorite orange-containing recipe, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I was going to try making orange muffins this weekend? http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/orange-muffins/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice Medrich has a recipe for chilled oranges in rum-caramel syrup (published in Pure Dessert, findable on Google Books) which is pretty seriously awesome, especially when served with (ORANGE?) chiffon cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of that Medrich recipe, Susan. But I'd like to serve it over some sort of bittersweet chocolate tart in its still-crunchy stage.

    ReplyDelete