Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The wrong Murakami

Four bookstores and one library later, and I don't have a copy of The Worm and the Ring, but I do have a copy of In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami, which I have already begun to read. Haruki is winning the Murakami contest so far.

Now, caveat emptor: I picked up a Groupon for this organic produce delivery service called Urban Organic that would give me great-quality produce for next week at a very good price. Unfortunately, the service did not call (as promised) to arrange a delivery time, instead deciding seemingly randomly to deliver the food today. This is unfortunate, as I am leaving for Pittsburgh in the morning and will not be able to reap the benefits of the freshest of the items. I resolved to use some of the greens tonight and have been thoroughly enjoying the walnuts in the box (although, since in the absence of a nutcracker I'm cracking them by squeezing two together, I don't know what I'm going to do when I have only one left).

Upon passing Murray's Cheese Shop and seeing that they had a pre-Thanksgiving sale, I picked up a bit of gorgonzola and then got a pomegranate and persimmon from my favorite fruit stand on the way home. I roasted the last couple cloves of garlic I had and made a warm garlic/Persian yogurt spice/red wine vinaigrette with olive oil and just a touch of sesame oil to give it a little extra nuttiness. I tossed organic romaine with the warm vinaigrette (to wilt it just a little), then topped it with the cheese, fruit, and some chopped walnut. This is a vibrant, intriguing salad for the most steadfast anti-saladarian.





I intend to name this concoction after the college friend who taught me how to seed pomegranates the right (read: Persian) way.

And then a friend of mine fed me queso azul de Valderon. Everything this article says is true. I feel like I've been kicked in the face by rotting leaves, but in a good way. A really good way. Yow.

No comments:

Post a Comment