Monday, November 1, 2010

Theme and variations

I'm discovering that the recipe for Andy's rosemary bread is coming in handy. First, I just made a lot of rosemary-and-garlic bread. Then, I tried using cumin seeds instead of rosemary. And finally, I used it to satisfy my craving for cinnamon bread when I had neither milk nor butter in the house.

Recipe: take one recipe rosemary bread. Replace 3/4 cup of bread flour with whole wheat. Omit the kneading in of rosemary and garlic, reduce the salt, and add about three tablespoons of sugar and some combination of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg, as well as citrus zest if that's your thing. Glaze with a 1:1 mixture of honey and water. Enjoy guiltily, pretending that since it has whole wheat flour and olive oil in it, you're doing yourself a favor. Admit grudgingly that it's so tasty you don't care if you're doing yourself a favor or not.

And now that I can terrify my friends and family with all the things herpes viruses can do to them... time to relax for an evening!

1 comment:

  1. hey hannah, i like your blog! follow mine at http://peacefulmuslim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete