Thursday, June 2, 2011

Accept no substitutes?

There are certain foods in this world that sneak in delicious animal products. I love anchovies, and I love what they add to puttanesca sauce and Caesar salad dressing, but alas, anchovies are a no-go. Luckily, there's this anchovy-free dressing from a recipe I adapted that is too good to be termed ersatz.




It goes very well on a wedge salad with chickpeas and almonds. If you're afraid of raw eggs, I'm sure you could find a way to get around the fact that there's one in this dressing. I don't feel like I'm putting my life on the line by eating a dressing steeped in eggy goodness, but chacun à son goût, I suppose.



I made yeasted sourdough cornbread studded with cherries and walnuts to go with it. It may be ugly, but it tastes good. Really, the cornbread was just an excuse to buy some cherries, which are just starting to make an appearance at intriguingly low prices on the produce carts. I ate the rest of the cherries, all the while praising the intestines I'm supposed to be learning about for their ability to slurp up most of the fruit-borne water I'm throwing at them. Good on you, intestines!



Anchovy-free Caesar dressing
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1.5 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
cayenne pepper to taste
1 egg
1 cup oil of your choice (I used extra-virgin olive oil)
1/4 cup grated Pamesan or Manchego, if you're lucky enough to have it.

Combine all ingredients except for the cheese and oil in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Slowly, slowly, slowly add the oil, running the food processor all the while. When it's nicely emulsified, add the cheese and pulse until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment