Thursday, June 30, 2011

A few sandwiches short of a picnic

My move is tomorrow. I'm not quite done packing (read: that load of laundry I did today won't pack itself). So what do I do?

Make cookies, that's right. You see, someone in the NYU maintenance staff who shall not be named did me a favor that shall also not be named. I promised him homemade cookies. I delivered by borrowing some cooking equipment and half-assing together a recipe that turned out pretty well. Surprised? Me neither, not because I'm just that good (I'm not), but because it's butter, sugar, flour, and cocoa, and nothing can go wrong.





Hannah's Half-ass Cookies


Take a stick of butter that was hanging around forlornly in your fridge, waiting for you to abandon it when you move four blocks away. Melt it because you packed your beaters and there's no way in hell you're creaming together butter and sugar by hand. Add about 3/4 cup white sugar. Stir frenetically with the one wooden spoon you haven't yet packed. Add an egg and a slosh of vanilla. Stir slightly less frenetically. Add about 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa, about 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp baking soda because you don't know where the baking powder is, and you figure it's in the box of kitchen supplies that's already been taped up. Stir gently until it comes together in a sticky dough. Taste. Approve. Bake in heaping tablespoons that you threw on a borrowed cookie sheet while trying to calm your jangling nerves at 350 F for 13 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet. Place in sandwich bags to give to people who are helping you out more than you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment