Monday, June 13, 2011

Pity this busy monster

It's the week before an exam, so why do I have so much non-studying activity going on? Mouse training courses, a last PLACE session... and because I'm an idiot, I sort of voluntarily added to my lengthy to-do list "bake for the last Practice of Medicine session." Any high-minded plans I had to make something impressive (macarons!) flew out the window in the face of everything else going on, so I turned to black bean brownies, an ostensibly healthful dessert that is in every way the quickest and easiest baked good I know how to make.


And one of the fudgiest to boot.



This kale salad with blue cheese, blueberries, and Dijon-balsamic vinaigrette is similarly quick (but not all that impressive...). I got the blue cheese/blueberry combination idea from The Flavor Thesaurus; it's helped along by the sweet and tangy dressing.

Brownies for the temporally challenged
1 can black beans (15.5 oz)
3 eggs
3 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 2/3 cup turbinado sugar (white is fine, too)
1 tsp instant espresso, if you've got it

Preheat oven to 350. Put all ingredients in a blender and let 'er rip until everything is... blended; alternatively, use your food processor or immersion blender. Pour the batter in a greased 9x9 pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges just start to separate from the edges of the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment