Friday, June 17, 2011

Ed Ruscha, eat your heart out.

This is how I feel right now:


When I finally got home after finishing first year, I back-flopped onto my back on my bed in a fashion that embodied OOF. And then promptly finished Geek Love, which I have to say was not really worth the time it took to read it. It's not that it was bad per se, but its premise only held my interest for a few chapters, after which point the ample grotesqueries contained therein were not substantive enough to be captivating. Characters developed predictably. Wackiness ensued predictably. Basically, from now on, If I'm going to read fluff, it's going to be one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books or some Star Wars novelization* rather than fluff that tries to mean something. I'm officially moving on to Point Counter Point.

I feel like I should have profound words for this last day of my first year of medical school. So much has happened since January. So much. "I learned a lot and made great friends" are both true statements, to be sure, but they're hackneyed enough to rival ipecac as an emetic. I will indulge in a mote of sentimentalism and say this: Never mind all the complaints I've made about NYU** or medical school in general, and all the stress I've vented about on this blog, and all the debt I'm accruing. I'm lucky to be where I am today***, on my way to a career I want more than anything, partnered with a person who understands that during my residency he probably won't see me while I'm conscious, with brownie-stuffed chocolate chip cookies in hand for tonight's mini quizbowl get-together...wait, what was that last one?


 That's right. Brownies inside cookies. And quizbowl. And no more histology until August. And Andy is moving in with me in less than a month. Cue the Bob Marley, because in this moment, it seems like every little thing's gonna be all right.

I used this brownie recipe and this cookie recipe, which didn't fare as well as it does when it doesn't have brownies stuffed inside it (seems to have gotten sort of dry), but there you go. The brownies on their own were amazing and worth the little bit of extra time it takes to fluff up the eggs.

Start with a ball of dough.

Make a pit in it.
Fill 'er up with some pre-baked brownie.

And cover it up again! Then bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
I can't decide whether to compare these to Eshu...
...or Lokai. They're cookies from one side and something
 thoroughly different from the other side, you see.
I now feel more like this:


*Stop judging. Kevin J. Anderson is my homeboy.
**Except for the complaints about the baffling miasm of awful that is the complete absence of organizational capabilities on the part of Housing Services. Mind that. Mind it all the way.
***Thank you, family, friends, and uncategorizables, for facilitating all this and for putting up with me while I'm being saccharine, snarly, or some combination of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment